Industrial/PhD Course: Cyber Security of Microgrids (ONLINE)
04.03.2021 kl. 09.00 - 05.03.2021 kl. 16.30
Prof. Frede Blaabjerg (firstname.lastname@example.org), Aalborg University, Denmark
Dr. Subham Sahoo, Aalborg University, Denmark
Dr. Subham Sahoo (email@example.com)
Microgrids are recently becoming the backbone as the future enabling technology hub to realize a carbon-neutral electric power systems. Alongside their flexibility to be operated in both grid-connected and autonomous modes, they also provide more natural interfaces with many types of RES and ESSs and better compliance with consumer electronics. Moreover, microgrids can be
grid-interactive by providing grid supportive functions such as frequency response and, regulation, reactive power support and voltage regulation, etc. All these facts lead to more and more deployment of microgrids in transmission and distribution levels. Furthermore, with proliferation of communication technologies, these microgrids are quickly evolving into cyber-physical systems
(CPS) that use sophisticated software-based networked control. These increased sophistication imposes numerous new challenges involving coordination, operation philosophy and vulnerability to cyber attacks.
Cyber attacks can be designed in many ways: (a) sensor infiltration, (b) communication infringement. Even though several hard-bound secure protocols are designed to ensure the authenticity of the actual signal, the attackers usually target the control layer as an easy target.
Hence, this course aims to focus: (a) identifying the vulnerable access points in microgrid controllers, (b) introduce the most prominent cyber attacks, (c) detection of cyber attacks in in real-time, (d) removal of these attack elements and ensuring stability/preventing system shutdown, (e) design of resilient controllers for microgrids, which heals by itself despite any cyber intrusion attempts. All models will be provided to attendees and experimental lab demonstration is expected as well
alongwith discussion on future research ideas.
Day 1: General information about cyber security and its impact in microgrids – Dr. Subham Sahoo (5 hours)
- L0 Introduction to the course
- L1 Fundamental concepts of power systems and power electronics
- L2 Impact and overview of cyber-attacks in power grid
- L3 Advanced controllers for cyber-physical microgrids
- L4 Risk assessment of cyber-attacks in microgrids
Day 2: Cyber security laboratory exercises. Dr. Subham Sahoo (5 hours)
- L5 Modelling of attack detection techniques in microgrids
- L6 Modelling of attack mitigation techniques in microgrids
- L7 Cybersecurity framework in microgrids – Demonstration videos
- L8 Challenges and opportunities
- General knowledge about electrical engineering field.
- Practicing knowledge in power electronic systems and control theory.
- Experience in using Matlab/Simulink
FORM OF EVALUATION:
Report evaluated by the lecturers.
6000 DKK for PhD students outside of Denmark and 8000 DKK for the Industry.
Department of Energy Technology, Aalborg University
17.02.2021 kl. 23.59