Industrial/PhD Course: Introduction to Voltage Stability of Electric Power Systems
06.02.2019 kl. 08.00 - 08.02.2019 kl. 16.00
Professor Zhe Chen - Aalborg University, Denmark
Professor Costas Vournas, NTUA, Greece
The course will provide training and education on the subject of Voltage Stability analysis. The PhD course will include basic knowledge of power transfer limitations in DC and AC systems, the effect of reactive compensation, generator reactive support, and load dynamics and basic concepts of voltage stability monitoring, control and protection.
The main topics are as follows:
- Overview of power system stability and classification
- Basics of stability theory
- Voltage stability and maximum power transfer
- Reactive generation and reactive power limits. Immediate loss of stability
- Fast and slow response including load dynamics
- Modelling and response of Load Tap Changers
- Voltage Stability Monitoring and Countermeasures
General knowledge in electrical AC circuits and electrical power engineering, preferably background at graduate level in power systems. Exercises involve Matlab.
Form of evaluation
Written assignments in Matlab to be submitted after the course will undergo individual checking by the lecturer. The assignments will be compounded in a mini-report per student describing the outcome of simulation cases.
6000 DKK for PhD students outside of Denmark and 8000 DKK for the Industry.
Department of Energy Technology
Aalborg University, Pontoppidanstræde 103, room 4.112, 9220 Aalborg East