- Please refer to this website for citations and references www.iot-energy.et.aau.dk
- News: There is a Special Session on Green Internet of Things. The aim of this Special Section is to contributte with novel contributions on Green IoT research and road-map, from the perspective of energy efficiency and respnsible energy consumption. Contributions by the applications of emerging technologies (e.g., social computing, big data computing, fog computing, edge computing, emotional computing, SDN) to address the energy efficiency issue of IoT are also welcome.
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 1 March 2020. For more information, please see the SS website here
- Advertisement: Do you want to go for a virtual IoT laboratory walkthrough? Please click on the image below
The Polish ministry of science selected AAU as a best practice due to the successful advancement on the global research rankings. In that connection, several groups consisting of rectors, deans, adm directors, department leaders and head of Secretatiats (around 100 persons during November 2019 and January 2020) visited our Department of Energy Technology and the IoT microgrid facilities. The participants have been rated the project as very high especially in topics such as: ranking models and methods, project based study environment-PBL, management models at the Faculty and dep. Level, external funding, cooperation with industry and local area and commercialization of research activities.
- News: A new strategic cooperation meeting with Goldwind Energy, Denmark and Beijing Development Area Co.China on May 20th. +50 Energy Internet projects will be commissioned in China in the next years.
- Annoucement: There is a Special Session on Energy Management based on Internet of Things. Deadline for manuscript submissions: 29 February 2020. For more information, please see the SS website here
The Energy Internet – Integrating Internet of Things into the Smart Grid
Project Formulation and Description
At present, new market, regulatory structures and new energy services in the smart grid seems to be the response to profound changes in the way that energy should be generated, stored, distributed, managed and finally consumed. What makes the global challenge particularly severe is the essential role that energy is playing as a whole. In fact, ecological and sustainability awareness, comfort‐oriented consumers’ behavior, etc., are the factors which are becoming more and more complex to address especially when there is a massive input of smart devices combined with multiple operating systems taking into account interoperability and compatibility issues.
On the other hand, the world is changing rapidly thanks to the technology revolution having an enormous impact on our daily lives at work and at home. In fact, in conjunction with the Fourth Industrial Revolution (Industry 4.0), Internet of Things (IoT) paradigm seems to increase the visibility of energy consumption by providing intelligent and automated systems to improve comfort and energy efficiency through comprehensive solutions for connectivity, manageability, and security in the future smart grids.
Graphic inspired by Boston Consulting Group discussion on industry 4.0
Also, thanks to the distributed allocation of smart sensors and smart meters, real‐time energy consumption data can be collected easily and monitored in a user‐friendly interface to improve energy‐aware decision‐making.
This project research will focus on models, methods and techniques/tools that will enable a new level of intelligence and effectiveness in IT infrastructures for a user‐interactive energy system which can also be called Internet of Energy. More specifically, advanced IoT‐based structures, algorithms, and functionalities will be developed to initially interact with the surrounding environment in terms of sensing and metering (e.g., electricity, heat and water in case of Denmark), then processing the information to extract knowledge for more efficient data management and transmission and eventually
optimize energy efficiency in both supply and demand sides. The challenge of this project is to create a path to achieve the intelligent energy grid vision for identifying the opportunities that IoT technologies provide for smart energy systems encompassing distributed generators, virtual power plants, or even microgrids.
Generally, the Smart Grid and the environment it creates is deemed as the Internet of Energy. If there is an adaptation on the behavior of the prosumer devices based on the information that they receive such as electricity price, then energy consuming/producing devices will not be black boxes but can be adapted accordingly instead.
Billions of smart devices are connected to each other, all sharing data securing via the Internet. The following is a list of countries by IoT devices online per 100 inhabitants as published by the OECD in 2015. Note that Denmark is in the second place after South Korea with 32.7 devices online per 100 inhabitants. Some definition of IoT states that IoT era may start when this number reaches 100, i.e. when we cross the barrier of having one device online per habitant. In fact, the interconnection of the technologies themselves will not be valued unless citizens understand the gains.
Figure 1. List of countries by IoT devices per 100 inhabitants in 2015
Publications derived from the latest research
An MQTT-based specification framework for the control of smart inverters in microgrids, Babak Arbab-Zavar, Emilio J. Palacios-Garcia, Juan C. Vasquez and Josep M. Guerrero. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics (submitted).
Internet of Things Driving Digitalization of Energy Internet: Architecture, Infrastructures, Technologies, Platforms and Services, Ying Wu, Yanpeng Wu, Josep M. Guerrero, Juan C. Vasquez, Jiao Li, (submitted)
IoT-enabled Microgrid for Intelligent Energy-aware Building: A Novel Hierarchical Self-consumption Scheme with Renewables, Yanpeng Wu, Ying Wu, Josep M. Guerrero, Juan C. Vasquez, Yajuan Guan (submitted)
IoT-Enabled Information Fusion for Microgrid with Composite Loads: A Novel Hierarchical Framework for Smart Buildings, Yanpeng Wu, Josep M. Guerrero, Juan C. Vasquez, Ying Wu, IEEE Electrification Magazine (Submitted)
An MQTT-based specification framework for the control of smart inverters in microgrids, Babak Arbab-Zavar, Emilio J. Palacios-Garcia, Juan C. Vasquez and Josep M. Guerrero (submitted)
Open IoT Infrastructures for In-Home Energy Management and Control, E. J. Palacios-Garcia, B. Arbab-Zavar, J. C. Vasquez and J. M. Guerrero, IEEE 9th International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE-Berlin), Berlin, Germany, 2019, pp. 376-379.
- Platform-based Load Scheduling Method by Considering Smart Parking and Smart Appliance, Y. Guan, W. Feng, E. J. Palacios-Garcia, J. C. Vásquez and J. M. Guerrero, "15th International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS), Santorini Island, Greece, 2019, pp. 248-254.
- Guest Editorial Special Section on Energy Internet, J. M. G. Juan C.Vasquez, Y. Guan, and K. Sun, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 1753-1755, March 2019. doi: 10.1109/TII.2019.2891773
- Smart Inverters for Microgrid Applications: A Review. Arbab-Zavar, B.; Palacios-Garcia, E.J.; Vasquez, J.C.; Guerrero, J.M. Energies 12, no. 5: 840, 2019.
- Integrated Management of Energy, Wellbeing and Health in the Next Generation of Smart Homes. / Jaouhari, Saad El; Palacios-Garcia, Emilio Jose; Anvari-Moghaddam, Amjad; Bouabdallah, Ahmed. In: Sensors (Basel, Switzerland), Vol. 19, No. 3, 24.01.2019.
- A stochastic modelling and simulation approach to heating and cooling electricity consumption in the residential sector. / Palacios-Garcia, E. J.; Moreno-Munoz, A.; Santiago, I.; Flores-Arias, J. M.; Bellido-Outeirino, F. J.; Moreno-Garcia, I. M. In: Energy, Vol. 144, 01.02.2018, p. 1080-1091.
- Distributed Average Integral Secondary Control for Modular UPS Systems based Microgrids. Wei, Baoze; Gui, Yonghao; Marzabal, Albert; Trujillo, Santi; Guerrero, Josep M.; Vasquez, Juan. In: IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 2019
- Cyber Physical Energy Systems Modules for Power Sharing Controllers in Inverter Based Microgrids, Carlos A. Macana, Ahmed F. Abdou, Hemanshu R. Pota, Josep M. Guerrero and Juan C. Vasquez. In Inventions 2018
- Internet of Things for Modern Energy Systems: State-of-the-Art, Challenges, and Open Issues. Shakerighadi, Bahram; Anvari-Moghaddam, Amjad; Quintero, Juan Carlos Vasquez; Guerrero, Josep M. In: Energies, 2018, p. 1-23.
- An enhanced hierarchical control strategy for the Internet of Things-based home scale microgrid. / Guan, Yajuan; Quintero, Juan Carlos Vasquez; Guerrero, Josep M. Proceedings of 2017 IEEE 26th International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE). IEEE Press, 2017. p. 51-56.
- Using Smart Meters Data for Energy Management Operations and Power Quality Monitoring in a Microgrid”, E.J. Palacios-Garcia, E. Rodriguez-Diaz, A. Anvari-Moghaddam, M. Savaghebi, J.C. Vasquez, J.M. Guerrero, A. Moreno-Munoz, The 26th IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE 2017), 19-21 June, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, 2017.
- Potential energy savings by using direct current for residential applications : A Danish household study case. / Diaz, Enrique Rodriguez; Quintero, Juan Carlos Vasquez; Guerrero, Josep M. Proceedings of 2017 IEEE Second International Conference on DC Microgrids (ICDCM). IEEE Press, 2017. p. 547-552.
- M2M home data interoperable management system based on MQTT. / Bellido-Outeirino, F. J.; Flores-Arias, J. M.; Palacios-Garcia, E. J.; Pallares-Lopez, V.; Matabuena-Gomez-Limon, D. 2017 IEEE 7th International Conference on Consumer Electronics - Berlin, ICCE-Berlin 2017. Vol. 2017-September IEEE, 2017. p. 200-202.
- A Novel Hierarchical Control Strategy for the Internet of Things based Home Scale Microgrid, Yajuan Guan, Juan C. Vasquez, Josep M. Guerrero, IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE 2017), 19-21 June 2017, Edinburgh, UK.
- Efficient Energy Management for a Grid-Tied Residential Microgrid. Anvari-Moghaddam, Amjad; Guerrero, Josep M.; Quintero, Juan Carlos Vasquez; Monsef, Hassan; Rahimi-Kian, Ashkan.In: IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol. 11, 2017, p. 1.
- Real-Time Energy Management System for a Hybrid AC/DC Residential Microgrid Diaz, E. R., Palacios-Garcia, E. J., Anvari-Moghaddam, A., Juan. C. Vasquez, Guerrero, J. M. 2017 2nd IEEE International Conference On DC Microgrids (ICDCM 2017). IEEE, p. 1-6 6 p.
- Combined Solar Charging Stations and Energy Storage Units Allocation for Plug-In Electric Vehicles by Considering Uncertainties Yousefi Khanghah, B., Anvari-Moghaddam, A., Guerrero, J. M. Juan C. Vasquez 2017 17th annual conference of the International Conference on Environmental and Electrical Engineering (EEEIC 2017). IEEE Press, p. 1-6
- Advanced Smart Metering Infrastructure for Future Smart Homes. / Diaz, Enrique Rodriguez; Palacios-Garcia, Emilio; Firoozabadi, Mehdi Savaghebi; Quintero, Juan Carlos Vasquez; Guerrero, Josep M.; Moreno-Munoz, Antonio. Proceedings of the 5th IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics. IEEE Press, 2015. p. 29 - 31
Grant and Period
Project selected from the AAU Talent Programme.
Project Period: 1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2019
Host Institution: Aalborg University
Mentor: Professor Josep M. Guerrero
Postdoctoral Fellow (2018) Emilio Palacios
Postdoctoral Fellow (2018) Feng Wei
Research Assistant: Yonghao Gui
Postdoctoral Fellow (2018) Enrique Diaz